Students and non-salaried academic researchers are exempt from holding a Basic Health Insurance unless they are working, even part-time, or as part of a paid internship.

They need to be in the Netherlands for less than 3 years and be younger than 30.

Non-working students and academic researchers from the EU/EEA/Switzerland will be given a European Health Insurance Card, or an international declaration form instead.

Non-working students, and academic researchers from outside the EU need to arrange some other form of Health Insurance.

Sometimes Colleges and companies have a contract with a Health Insurer so students and employees can enjoy discounted premiums.

Students and researchers who have a job, even if it is part-time work, in addition to their studies or research, are required to have a Dutch Basic Health Insurance.