Support for children with Mental Health Issues

Children and adolescents up to the age of 18 with Mental Health problems are eligible for assistance from the Youth Mental Health Services (jeugd-GGZ). First, however, they need a referral from a designated expert, such as their GP, Youth Healthcare Professional or a Care Professional employed by, or acting on behalf of the local authority.

Youth Mental Health services employ psychologists, psychiatrists and nurses, specialized in the psychological development of children, including the treatment of Parenting and Behavioral problems. As parents, you will be involved in the treatment, and the Health Professional will discuss your child’s treatment with you.

The responsibility for providing Mental Healthcare to children lies within the local community (Gemeente). Ask your GP for further details.